GFS COMMITMENT TO A PARTNESHIP IN ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP
Why Green Clean?
1.) Green cleaning is better for everyone’s health
Green cleaning products are quite simply better for people who are exposed to them than traditional cleaning products. Indoor air quality improves when environmentally friendly cleaning products are used and people have fewer incidents of skin irritations, allergies and other health problems.
2.) Green Cleaning Positively Affects A Company’s Bottom Line
Healthier employees are more productive employees and more productive employees are better employees. In addition to this an effective green cleaning program (like the one offered by GFS Building Maintenance) reduces costs across the board associated with health care, productivity and sick days. Recently the cost of green cleaning has become more competitive and when true cost is taken into consideration, it is probable that green cleaning will save a company money in the long run and probably even in the short run.
3.) Green Cleaning Is Good For The Earth (& Your Social Conscience)
Using green cleaning products reduces the impact your company has on the environment. Using green cleaning products can decrease both air pollution and water pollution. Additionally, green practices such as recycling can also help negate your company’s negative impact on the environment.
4.) LEED Certification Is Good For Your Business
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a program developed by the U.S. Green Building Council that has established standards for sustainable buildings. There are government incentives for LEED certified buildings. One part of LEED certification is green cleaning.
There are at least 31 points needed for LEED-EB certification. Green cleaning can earn you points in several categories including:
Building Operation and Maintenance: Staff Education 1 point
Optimize Use of Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Compliant Products 2 points
Sustainable Cleaning Products and Materials 1-3 points
Occupant Recycling 1-3 points
Documenting Productivity Impacts: Absenteeism and Health Care Cost Impacts 1 point
Contemporary IAQ Practice 1 point
Green Cleaning: Entryway Systems 1 point
Green Cleaning: Isolation of Janitorial Closets 1 point
Green Cleaning: Low Environmental Impact Cleaning Policy 1 point
Green Cleaning: Low Environmental Impact Pest Management Policy 2 points
Visit the United States Green Building Councils website at www.usgbc.org
An important hallmark of the GFS Building Maintenance cleaning operations is its commitment to working in partnership with its clients on the development of the policies, procedures and training needed to minimize the impact of its environmental footstep while at the same time providing an effective service committed to maintaining a healthy work environment. GFS brings to this partnership more than forty years of experience in working with these goals in mind. Some of the ways in which GFS structures its operations toward sustainability is:
– GFS has selected JohnsonDiversey – a long time leader in sustainable care products – as its primary supplier of cleaning productshttp://www.johnsondiversey.com/cultures/en/default.htm
A list of traditional cleaning products and their green alternatives.
– GFS promotes the use, wherever possible, of washable microfiber cloths instead of disposable wipes
– GFS uses ProTeam vacuums: their “Four-Level Filtration System” is recognized industry wide for its contribution to indoor air quality
– In areas such as rest room cleaning, GFS avoids the possibility of cross-contamination and reduces the amount of disposables used through the utilization of touch-free cleaning systems
– GFS uses a metered chemical dispensing system in the distribution of its cleaning chemicals in order to insure that only the minimum required for effectiveness is being used
– GFS employees are trained to replace plastic waste receptacle liners only when soiled
– GFS employees are trained in all elements of recycling, and are trained to notify the client if recycle containers have become contaminated with inappropriate items
Additionally, GFS is a proud sponsor of Adopt a Highway, and a member of New Hampshire Businesses for Social Responsibility.